7 ways to go carnivore crazy during VWOAP
July 26, 2018
I've realised that writing a blog post about the meatier side of VWOAP is risky business – every pun I've attempted to make has been...the wurst. So you'll just have to gird your loins, meat me in the middle and allow me to flesh things out for you with a run-down of some of this year's finger-lickin', lip-smackin' meat feasts.
- There's no denying that the mighty BBQ is a one of the foundations on which Kiwi cuisine is built upon (naturally, the others are onion soup dip and pavlova), so step up your BBQ game with Pickle & Pie's Cured and Smoked event. Pickle & Pie know a thing or two about slow-cooked meats (their burger is next level), so this is sure to be a culinary showcase. Be taken through the art of curing and pickling while feasting on a three-course meal of deli classics slow-cooked in their pit-smoker. Finish the evening with (what else?) pies for dessert.
It's time to meat your makers – but don't panic, it won't be your last super. These events will give you a new appreciation for what goes into producing that perfectly cooked steak or succulent lamb chops on your dinner plate:
- How You Slice It demonstrates how a whole animal is transformed into fine cuts of meat, forming the basis of a five-course lamb dinner, matched with Cambridge Roads wines.
- Take a Nose-Dive Into Butchery and learn how to break down a side of pig, as well as the art of curing and brining meat at Greytown’s Prodigal Daughter. A three-course pork banquet awaits you as a reward.
- Go the Whole Hog in Paraparaumu with a six-course nose-to-tail pork degustation matched with Duncan Brewing beers.
Nothing beats a basket of crispy fried chicken and a cold beer to wash it all down. Don't wing it this VWOAP – these fried chicken offerings will leave you so eggcited.
- For one night only, Café Polo Abandons Miramar for San Fran to bring you chicken wings and beer. With ten flavours of wings to choose from, you'll be flocking back for more throughout the evening. Lower Hutt's Abandoned Brewery will supply the beers.
- Also swooping into town from afar is popular Australian joint Belles Hot Chicken who will be joined by local favourites Shepherd, Garage Project and Wine Diamonds to take over the Visa Festival Hub for one hot night.
- You can even get your fried chicken fix in with Burger Wellington. You'll want to cross the fowl line for Lanes Bar and Bowling's burger – The Perfect Game features crispy buttermilk fried chicken with kimchi and salted cucumber. Fidel's Cafe are taking a Southern breakfast favourite by sandwiching creole fried chicken, BBQ corn salsa, pickles and cheddar cheese between waffles with gravy on the side. And who could look past previous winners' Egmont St's Japan-inspired "Clucking Good Time" complete with housemade katsu sauce.
WIN A $500 MEAT-FILLED VWOAP PRIZE PACK!
Get your hands on the following meaty tickets and vouchers to satisfy any carnivore.
Just fill in the below form by Mon 30 July, 10am.
- 2 tickets to Go the Whole Hog (Fri 17 Aug, 6.30pm-9.30pm)
- Thunderbird Cafe: one voucher for 5 x Burger Wellys
- The Featherston: one voucher for 4 x Burger Wellys
- Bethel Woods: one voucher for 4 x Burger Wellys
- Bebemos: one voucher for 4 x Burger Wellys