The Sea Breeze Inn
Welcome to ‘The Sea Breeze Inn’ - a celebration of fresh seasonal kaimoana from the coastlines of Aotearoa New Zealand.
Popping up in an old car mechanics for three nights only, The Sea Breeze Inn is your new favourite seafood experience.
With a nod to nostalgic childhood family restaurants, classics are reinterpreted for today’s palate and tomorrow’s world, using sustainably caught kaimoana.
Expect oysters a plenty, pāua, crayfish and clam chowder, plus a fresh take on classic kiwi fish ‘n chips with beers to match by Garage Project. We’ll have a few Matahiwi wines, and non-alcoholic options from Almighty on offer too.
Come in for a snack, or settle in for the night.
FREE ENTRY – PAY ON CONSUMPTION. Please note this is a cashless event. Only payments with debit / credit card will be accepted.
Who’s in the kitchen?
Long-time festival collaborator and Chef Morgan McGlone of Sunday Potts Point (SYD) is officially back on Kiwi soil and will be cooking up a storm.
The talented Masterchef winners from Maketu who have taken their cooking from our TV screens to around the world have created a couple of classics that will have you coming back for more.
The driving force behind Grey Lynn’s beloved neighbourhood eatery Lilian, and more recently Schapiro’s sports bar, Otis lets his American heritage shine through with his very special Sea Breeze Inn dish.
What’s on the menu?
You can download a PDF version of our menu here.
- Vol-au-Vent Seafood Royal | $8
- Cloudy Bay Clam Chowder | $8
Kasey and Kārena
- Creamed Pāua on toast | $10
- Grilled Mussels with Watercress and Bacon Bone Butter (GF) | $10
- Corncakes with Crayfish and Old Bay | $12
- Pickled Tua Tua Toast with Aioli and Chilli (DF) | $8
Fish & Chips
- Beer Battered Fish (daily catch) | $6
- Beer Battered Fish & Chips (daily catch) | $10
- NewFish Bytes - Microalgae derived protein bites and spicy mayo (VV) | $7
- Chips (VV) | $5
- Deep-fried Curried Cauliflower (Vv/GF) | $7
- Coleslaw (Vv)| $5
Te Kouma Bay Oysters - Farmed in the nutrient-rich waters of the Coromandel, they are a plump, deep-cupped oyster with a fresh, clean and refined taste, with medium salinity and a gentle, flinty minerality. (GF/DF)
- 1/2 Dozen oysters | $25
- Dozen oysters | $45
By the scoop Single $6.5 / Double $9.5
- Potato Chip | Potato Chip Ice Cream / Potato Chip Choc Chip Cookies
- Smokey Pokey (GF) | Caramel and Sea Salt Ice Cream / Chocolate Covered Hokey Pokey
- Vietnamese Coffee (GF) | People’s ‘Don Wilfredo’ Blend Espresso / Condensed Milk
- Boysenberry Chip (DF) | Boysenberry Oat Milk ‘Ice Cream’ / Dark Chocolate Slivers
Ice cream Sandwiches $8
- The Classic | Vanilla Ice Cream / Choc Chip Cookie
Shiver Me Timbers
- Shiver Me Timbers | Salted Caramel Ice Cream / Chocolate Cookie
What do you mean ‘sustainable seafood’?
Here in Aotearoa we can be confident that the seafood that ends up on our tables is sustainably caught and managed.
Part of this is down to the management of our local fisheries, which has quotas in place to protect species for future generations. The other part is provenance, which considers when, where and how seafood is caught or collected. The ‘how’ is really important, as some methods (such as line-caught) are more gentle than others, and we champion those.
When you come along to The Sea Breeze Inn pop-up you’ll be able to discover the “where, when and how” of what you’re eating, and we’ll also be shining a light on some lesser known species too. We hope that this is something that you’ll take away with you long after the pop-up is over. To find out more about our Kaimoana and how this is managed, visit www.seafood.co.nz.
6 College Street, Te Aro, Wellington - 100m up College Street from Moore Wilson’s.
The Sea Breeze Inn is here for a good time – not a long time. You’ll be able to get your seafood fix at the official Visa Wellington On a Plate opening event for three nights only:
- Jul 29, 4:00pm - Late
- Jul 30, 4:00pm - Late
- Jul 31, 4:00pm - Late
For more details, check out the venue page.